In modern smartphones, at the top of the screen you can always find a line on which there is a signal level icon, battery icon, etc. Also, the letters G, E, 3G, H, 3G +, H +, 4G, sometimes LTE may appear in the line. What do they mean? The answer is really simple – the icon shows which transmission technology is currently in use. In other words, it is a technology that is used to connect your smartphone to the Internet..
Now consider each icon more closely. Attention – in the upper right left or right corner (depending on the model of smartphone).
- G from English. GPRS – General Packet Radio Service, General Packet Radio Service (2G). GPRS allows the user of a cellular network to exchange data with other devices in the GSM network and with external networks, including the Internet. The maximum speed is 171.2 Kbps, but in practice it is usually lower.
- E from the English. EDGE. Digital wireless technology for mobile communications, operating over 2G and 2.5G networks. The maximum speed reaches 474 Kbps.
- 3G from English. third generation – the third generation. Third-generation mobile communications technology, which also provides high-speed Internet access. It uses UMTS technology with an HSPA add-in. The maximum speed of 3G networks reaches 3.6 Mbps.
- H, 3G +, H +. HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) technology allows you to transfer data over UMTS networks at very high speeds up to several tens of Mbit / s! True, you need to consider that not all devices support this speed.
- 4G (LTE, LTE-A). As you might have guessed, the technology got its name from the phrase fourth generation – the fourth generation. These are promising technologies that allow data transmission at a speed exceeding 100 Mbit / s for mobile subscribers and 1 Gbit / s for stationary.
What is VoLTE? This is the ability to make voice calls on a 4G network (LTE) – without this function, when making a voice call, the smartphone switches to another network mode, for example, 2G or 3G. We have already talked about this in detail..
Please note that the numbers indicated in the article are conditional. Much depends on the operator, on the user’s location, on the user’s device, etc. And this means that in real life the speed can be very different. At the same time, in many cities the Internet connection speed on smartphones is so high that it allows you to watch HD-format videos directly from your device.